Thursday 9 March 2017

New drawings as usual and a failed art drop. RIP Howard Hodgkin

Thursday:


Above is the drawing I am now sure is finished, it still might change when I go into the review stage of this book but for now it is fine.


Above is another drawing that I finished last night in my latest handmade book project, a simple statement.


I have carried on on the reverse page in a slightly different but riffing on the same theme. I have no idea what the next drawing in the book will be like but this circle theme seems to be sticking and might remain the theme throughout the whole book, we will see.


Today has been a quiet-ish day with slightly less to do, so pottering about was the order of the day and then we were taken out to lunch at The Queens Hotel by Zoe's mum, which was nice. As has been customary when out I quite often leave a little art drop. A few places around town seem to keep these little items such as The Rum & Crab Shack and there they have been part of the decor almost but as we were leaving the young lady who had served us said 'ooo you have left your stones' and gave us them back, oh well I though they will end up somewhere else, so my Mother in Law had the green one and the other two were left in Fore Street somewhere. After that we all went beach combing on Porthmeor and then returned home for a while and then I had to go off and do a guitar lesson and then back home for a yummy homemade curry, yum!

ON this day also one of my favourite artists has died, Sir Howard Hodgkin has died at the age of 84. He won the Turner prize in 1985 and was made a 'Sir' in 1992. When I first came across his work I thought he was an abstract painter he always denied he painted abstracts. I love his work and sense of colour whether it is abstract or not a true visionary. I have seen many of his shows and he always seemed to progress. Goodby dear fellow.

I will leave you with this: Tate director Sir Nicholas Serota said he was "one of the great artists and colourists of his generation". I couldn't agree more.

I am off to draw soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment